Friday, March 3, 2006

SD Governor Mike Rounds: Veto the abortion ban

Dear [South Dakota] Governor Rounds:

I am writing to urge you to veto the abortion ban now upon your desk. By not allowing exceptions for rape or incest victims, the bill simply goes too far.

I am particularly appalled at the invocation of Christianity to justify such a brutal prohibition. My mother is a native South Dakotan (from Vienna) and a Lutheran minister. Three of my grandparents are also from South Dakota (Britton, Willow Lake and Watertown). They raised me to believe that Jesus stood for compassion. Forcing a young girl to bear the child of her rapist is such an act of cruelty that the Christ I worship would certainly condemn it.

What has South Dakota come to, that such a bill could gain passage? I hope you will send this bill back to the Legislature and tell them to get it right.