Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's wrong with spreading the wealth?

Class warfare is nothing new. The rich have been winning for a few years now, as our tax system increasingly rewards investment over work. To quote a popular phrase from Wednesday's debate, what's wrong with "spreading the wealth around" a little?

Thanks to economic changes I make less money than I used to. When I made more back in the Clinton era I paid higher taxes, and that's exactly as it should be. Historically, progressive taxation corresponds with greater economic growth and lower taxes. Those who benefit the most from our capitalistic system, and are struggling less to feed and house their families, should pay more to help run it. It's fair, and it works.

John McCain originally opposed George Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy, and now he supports keeping them in place. This flip-flop is one of the biggest reasons I cannot support him for President.