Monday, August 17, 2009

Mr. President, Senators Wyden and Merkley, Rep. Blumenauer: SIngle Payer is best, Public Option an absolute minimum

I believe our health system's biggest cost problem is the waste and inefficiency of the insurance industry, and the best way to reform it is to replace it with a single payer system.

I would be willing to live with a public option -- as long as it is set up to be truly competitive, and not merely a dumping ground for insurance companies to abandon their more expensive insureds.

Without at least the public option to compete with the private sector, I believe that any changes to provide universal coverage would simply enrich inefficient and wasteful private insurers with another trillion dollars in public money, ultimately bankrupting the country.

[Additional note to Senator Wyden:] I am trusting you to put the interest of the public above those of the insurers -- opponents of the reforms I support -- that have contributed to your campaign fund.